Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Month of the Sky

The countdown had begun.

It was a peculiar feeling, knowing I had a month left. And I knew I couldn’t tell anyone – they said my time would be cut short then. With no way to warn the people about the impending apocalypse, I did my best to just enjoy the rest of my life for what it was.

It wasn’t easy. For the first week, I couldn’t sleep. I had panic attacks and almost told my friends. But after that paralyzing sensation went away, after I was done shaking like a leaf, I felt relief. I found that I could ignore my bills and leave my job. I suddenly had a whole reservoir of cash, because I didn’t need to save up anymore. For the following two weeks I lived a life of decadence, touring the world, sleeping in luxury hotels and enjoying the most exquisite entertainment.

And then there was one week left.

I felt a void. I felt emptier than my wallet was at that point. I realized this was the end, for real. Some people started talking, the news sometimes mentioned something about the end, but despite that, life seemed to be going as normal for them.

I had no idea what to do. I thought of visiting my parents or some old friends, but there didn’t seem to be any point to that. What can you talk about when there is no future to set your eyes on?

So I got in my car, and drove away. I packed all the food I could take, though I still took too much, I think. One person won’t really it a lot in a week. I parked my car by a cliff where I had a clear view of the ocean, and I set up camp near the wood. For the next few days, I lived my life in silence, accompanied by little more than the sound of the ocean, the rustling leaves, and the hints of the presence of wild animals.

On the last day, I did nothing. I sat at the edge of the cliff, watching the sun make its descent into the water. The sky looked bloodied, redder and redder the deeper the sun goes. As the stars twinkled into existence one by one, I took a deep breath and took in the view one last time. I knew that was the very image I wanted to preserve forever. Hoping that even after death I could still see it.


I closed my eyes and I still saw them. And everything was quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment