Saturday, August 23, 2014

A curse

They say there’s a curse on my family. I was starting to believe that.

“Are you certain?” I whispered into the receiver. For a second I heard nothing but faint static. I stood there in almost complete darkness, the only light coming from a lamp on the desk, illuminating a notebook covered in a blot of red ink. I cleared my throat and said, louder “Are you sure it was him?”

“Who else could it be?” the raspy voice on the other end replied. “There’s only so many people with a–“

“D-don’t say it over the phone!” A drop of sweat ran down my forehead. “You never know who might be listening in.” I took a deep breath. I could have sworn I heard him chuckle in the receiver. “So what now? I’m scared.”

“As you should be. That man keeps his promises.”

Promises. With his last breath, the man vowed he would take revenge on my father’s family for what he’d done to him. He cursed us. Could I have done anything to prevent this?

“What am I supposed to do? I can’t conduct the purification ritual by myself.”

“I can help.”

I wasn’t sure of that. Yes, he did call to warn me, but there was something unnerving about his voice. He claimed to be uncle Gerome and yes, his voice sounded familiar, but there was something off about the way he was saying all this.

Then again, I didn’t really have much of a choice.

“Fine. Where?”


"Midnight, on the bridge. Come alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment